We got in early Saturday evening and went straight over to my Aunt Marisa and Uncle Kyle's house in Rockwall. Carson got to meet them and their three kids, Claire, Jane, and Cade. My Uncle Bill also came over. By the time we got there, Carson was hungry and sleepy. I was going to go through his typical nightly routine with the bath and everything, but he pretty much just passed out after he ate, so I let him be. Unfortunately, they didn't get to see too much of him awake, but that's okay. There will be plenty of other times.
This visit solidified for me that I'm officially an adult. Yes, I'm almost 29, graduated from college, got my masters degree, got married, have two dogs, bought a house, have a kid, etc.... but sometimes, it still doesn't seem like I'm really an ADULT. On both sides of my family, generationally (if that's a word), we're still "the kids". I'm the first grandchild to have a child. I remember when all of Marisa's kids were born. I'm 12 years older than her oldest and 18 years older than her youngest. Her oldest is now almost 17.... 17, really?!?! She showed me her car, she's a junior in high school. Wasn't I just a junior in high school?!? Sometimes it feels like all of that was just yesterday, but NO, I'm going to my 10-year high school reunion in two weeks. I guess the fact that I now have a kid makes them all feel old too. They remember when I was born, way back in 1981.
Moving on, we had to make a Target run to go buy Carson a Pack 'N Play for my parents' house since this was his first visit, and they haven't gotten his sleeping arrangement figured out yet. My Jenny Lind crib hasn't been dusted off out of the attic in some time (although it was used by a neighbor back in the 90's) and probably has lead paint and rails that are too far apart. :-) The Cosco Pack 'N Play worked just fine. Carson sleeps in ours when we travel, so I guess it was familiar to him. The best part of the whole night was that Mom picked up the middle of the night feeding shift, so I slept for 7 hours STRAIGHT! AMEN and HALLELUJAH!!! Thanks a million, Mom!!!
Sunday morning Carson went to church for the first time. We've been going in shifts at home, each going to a different service so one of us could stay home with him. I haven't checked out the nursery yet at our church, although I've heard it is very nice. My mom and Rita Griffith are in the nursery at Wilshire, so I had no trouble leaving him there. I think my mom has been looking forward to the day when she got to watch her own grandbaby in the nursery. He ate and napped, and I got the following 'report card', "My teacher rocked me to sleep. I had a good first day at Wilshire. I enjoyed looking all around the room." At church, Carson got to see Rita, Greta & Russell, Faith Houston, Leanna Clayton, Jerilyn Armstrong, and I'm sure there are more. I'll update if I can remember.
After church, we were headed to Meme & Dede's house. Carson was getting to meet his great grandparents for the first time. I know they were SO excited. Dede had been telling me about his "great anticipation" for some time. Not only did Carson get to meet Meme & Dede, he got to meet his Great Aunt Julie, and my cousins Joel & Kristine, Michael & Rebecca, and Chris. We enjoyed fried chicken and cheesecake for dessert. On a side note, I LOVE fried chicken!
Checkin' out Dekers!
Proud Great-Grandfather!
Meme & Dede
Chris, Julie, and Dede
So Sweet!
Hangin' out with Cousin Kristine... can't wait to meet their little boy in February!
Playing with Julie! I had fun sticking my tongue out at her!

Sweet boy with Dede
And My Favorite Picture of the Day...
Carson was generally pretty good while we were over there. He was loved on and passed around plenty! When he did start getting fussy, he did NOT want to take a nap. He pretty much didn't sleep at all during the day on Sunday, with the exception of a short nap in the nursery at church.
On Monday, Angela Davis and her sweet kiddos came over to meet Carson. He was a sweet boy for them too and loved playing with her little girl, Layla. He was being quite the little flirt! I think kids are just good at entertaining other kids! I get a lot of crap from Andrew about being on Facebook too much, but I am so thankful for it. Angela was one of my good friends growing up and then after high school we lost touch... as we do with SO many people. Because of Facebook, we have totally reconnected. She has been such a great source for all things mommy-related and has been a huge source of encouragement and advice throughout the whole pregnancy/parenting journey. It is SO great to have friends that have recently gone through everything you are experiencing as a parent. LOVE YA!


I have to add that the weather was beautiful while I was in Dallas. Carson and I enjoyed a couple nice walks in the neighborhood. I have to say though that those hills where harder than they looked. My booty and legs were pretty sore the next day. Yeah, just now starting to work out again... and it showed!
Tuesday was a very special day as well. Carson got to see his Meme & Dede again! Dede called and wanted to know if we had time to squeeze in another quick visit before we left... OF COURSE! We went for a good old fashion hamburger at JG's. Cousin Michael and my dad met us there as well.
Later that afternoon, Carson got to meet his other great-grandfather, Papaw, for the first time and got to see Nina again. So, in case you missed it... Carson got to see ALL FOUR of his great-grandparents on my side of the family. Pretty special if you ask me!!!



Tuesday night, Dad and I headed out to the Ballpark to see the Rangers play Seattle. They'd already clenched the AL West Division, so the game didn't really matter, which was good because they lost 3-1. This was my belated birthday present to my dad, but of course, I didn't have any cash and dad had to pick up the parking tab (but that's what dads are for, right?!?) I enjoyed a Ballpark hot dog, slice of pizza, and a Lemon Chill. If you ask me, a hot dog and lemon chill are ballpark staples! Last time we went to a game I was pregnant, so I had to pass on the hot dog...BOO!! Not this time though!!! :-) It was a gorgeous night... perfect for a ballgame!
Wednesday I was headed home, but not before "Auntie" Greta and her mom, Rita, came by for a quick visit.
Carson with "Auntie" Greta

A couple more pics with my mom and dad (who still don't have cute grandparent names!)
Each night, either my mom or dad took a feeding shift, which was AWESOME! The only bad part about breastfeeding is that I still feel the need to pump during that shift. I'm so afraid about "drying up" that I never want to miss a feeding. I'm sure that missing a night one here and there won't matter, but I just don't want to get in the habit and risk it. Nonetheless, a quick pump is much faster than the whole feed/change/back to sleep process, so I welcomed the help! Thanks Mom & Dad! Can't wait to see y'all again in two weeks!!!
In closing, this was a WONDERFUL weekend filled with loving family and friends. We are blessed beyond measure!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment