Monday, May 14, 2012

Sweet Lily!

One of my best friends, Greta, had a sweet baby girl in March.  Lily didn't time her arrival very well because her mommy still had about 6 weeks of teaching left during her first year as a Lecturer at Baylor.  Soooo... being the organized person she is, Greta had friends and family lined up on the calendar until school was out for the summer.  I was the 5th and final "office babysitter."  I lucked out because she was pretty much done with school by the time I got there.  I mostly helped with packing up and watching Lily while Greta gave her last final, graded a few things, and posted grades.  Lily was already almost sleeping through the night (~midnight to 6:30am)....pretty awesome for a 7-week old!!!

I forgot how TEENY TINY newborns are!!!  Carson seems like a giant compared to a little 10-pound baby girl.  I thought I'd forgotten what to do with a little baby, but I was amazed how easily it came back, especially the calming trial and error. I guess it was because I'd been there, done that. I didn't freak out when she did start crying. If whatever I was doing to try to calm her down didn't work, I'd try something else. I figured out pretty easily that she like the hold where she was pretty much face down and laying on my arm and just dangling. She loved that. Carson seemed so much more difficult... it just seemed like it was so hard to calm him sometimes... his reflux made him so miserable. We got through it though.


We only had one real meltdown... in Ann Taylor LOFT.  It was 7:30pm and feeding time, so it was expected.  Once she was fed, she was happy as could be.  Mommy and Auntie Em had fun shopping!

Lily was just a smiling machine. She was so happy just looking at you and smiling. She had the sweetest little sounds. I'd forgotten about this stage....possibly because we didn't have much of one. We were fighting GERD (i.e. BAD reflux disease) and didn't have a very happy child at this stage.  I think I was probably still in that complete sleep-deprived stage as well, so even if he was smiling a lot then, I probably didn't remember.   
Lily was just such a joy!!!  Look at this precious face...









Lily definitely started giving me the baby itch again. She was SO good.... and so easy compared to my "wild man" toddler! I do love my little wild man like crazy... he keeps me on my toes and laughing!!  Every stage is so different and has its pro & cons.  He is so sweet and affectionate (most of the time), and I just love watching him learn new things and seeing his little personality develop.  I did get quickly reminded how much you nurse though... I didn't forget about that part. I remember making the analogy that I felt like a cow. Yep, didn't forget that part. It is so sweet though. I miss that special time. 


Your Auntie Em loves you, Sweet Lily!!! 



I'm happy to watch you any time... wish you were closer!

2 comments:

  1. She's precious and you are so sweet to help out!! Ps- its SO much easier the second time around. You are exactly right- you don't freak out the second time around- you just try something else and know they will be fine eventually! I think it's time Carson has a baby... Just sayin ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!! I want to do that! ha ha! She is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete