Looks like we've digressed....
With one exception (only because we got there right when a group of kiddos were filing in from the big room to his room and I was able to get him line and sneak out), there were tears every morning. Some days is was a whimper and little tears and other days (like today and yesterday), it was laying on the floor and screaming. I know nothing bad is going on because he's always happy and fine when I pick him up, and when I say it's time to go to school in the morning, he's running out the door. It's just that last moment right when he knows I'm leaving that it's bad. It's not that he doesn't want to go to school, it's that he wants me to come with him.
We also go another "nasty-gram" as I like to call them.... "Carson was hitting and pushing his friends today." What drives me CRAZY is that is NOT my kid!!! He is SO sweet and has never been aggressive. I guess it's probably a combination of being in a new place with new people and possibly feeling threatened. He IS the youngest one in his class (not size-wise though). I guess those are just other kids... they aren't really his friends yet. Same with the teachers... they are just other adults, not someone who he has developed a relationship with yet. I've put him with strangers all day.
It breaks my heart to see him crying in the morning. It also breaks my heart that he might be the "bad kid." I've talked to plenty of other moms who have had kids go through hitting phases or have kids that get in trouble a lot in school, so I know we're not the only ones. I feel like he kind of has an excuse for a little while (not that it's okay, but at least that's how I rationalize it). There's really nothing I can do either. He doesn't hit people when he's with us. If he does, it's usually him just playing, but he still gets punished. I tell him in the morning to be nice to his friends and not hit, but does a 20-month old really get that? Probably not. At least he's not biting (yet). He actually got bit yesterday AFTER he hit someone... guess he deserved it. He got bit a few times at his last school...why do kids do that???
It took him two weeks of crying at his first school before he was okay. It's been two weeks here and he's still crying. I think his age has a lot to do with it. He was just 13 months when he started at his old school and I can tell he is SO much more aware of everything now, so I figured this transition would be harder.
Oh well, we'll just keep on praying....hopefully Week 3 is better.
Don't get flustered- this is all perfectly normal! He's not old enough to rationalize with that he's at a new school with new friends. He WILL get it! Hang in there- he is a GREAT kid and he will adjust. Thinking of you guys!
ReplyDelete