Monday, October 31, 2011

Close But No Cigars...Again

Well folks, this was a heartbreaking weekend in sports for me and probably a lot of other people out there. First, the Rangers lost the World Series. Second, the Aggies {once again} blew a big lead and lost to a team they should not have lost to. Then, there's the Cowboys....

Let's start with the Rangers. I grew up a HUGE Rangers fan. It was one of our family's "things", and defniitely one of me and my dad's things we like to do together. My dad's company had season tickets 4 rows behind the plate AND {the best part was that} they were held in my dad's desk, SO we got to go A LOT. I remember going to lots of games at the old Arlington Stadium, including the last one, the first game at the new Ballpark in Arlington, LOTS of games when Nolan Ryan was pitching, including his last, Season Ticketholder's Day where we got to run the bases, etc., the Allstar Workout and Home Run Derby {my dad wasn't at the top of the ladder, so someone else got the actual Allstar Game tickets}, and LOTS of other games. There was the crazy man that sold hot dogs... "HHOOOTTT DDOOOGGSSS...then that goofy grin." There was the old man with tambourine/drum... he did that for YEARS but I haven't seen him the last several games I've gone to! I remember talking to Cal Ripkin, Jr. during the Home Run Derby in 1995. This was the same Home Run Derby that a beer got spilt all over me by the {overly enthusiastic} gentleman behind us when he thought he was within reach of a foul ball. We were also at the stadium during the O.J. Simpson Bronco chase through L.A. Everyone was out in the concession area watching it on the TV's. I always get a hot dog and a Lemon Chill. I used to be able to quote the line-up, their stats, etc. I can't say I can do that now; however, I have learned who most of the current players are. I usually still try to go to a game or two every year with my dad. Having not lived in Dallas since I was 18, I haven't kept up too much, other than the post season. I am still a BIG Rangers fan though. Isn't everyone always a fan of their hometown team?? As frustrating as they are, I am still a Cowboys fan too... you can add them to the loss list this week too. Ridiculous.

Wow, I sound a little bitter. The Rangers had an INCREDIBLE season and the post season was SO MUCH FUN. Game 6 of the World Series was probably the most nerve-wracking game I have ever watched. Unfortunately, it did not end up the Rangers favor, but oh well. The Cards certainly earned itby forcing 7 games. It's just disappointing to come SO CLOSE {on several occasions} and not be able to seal the deal. Some day, the Rangers will get that FIRST World Series title. I'm definitely proud of them and their great season. It didn't start off looking like they'd earn the American League pennant two years in a row, but they did!

Game 1 of the ALCS Championship against Detroit (They WON this one after two rain delays totalling over 2 hours!)






{More pics to come... they are still on my parents' camera.}

Aggies, I'm not even going to waste my breath {or fingers in this case}. I'm SO OVER this complete breakdown in the 2nd half. I want a coach that plays to win, NOT plays conservatively just to hold on. Hello, obviously that isn't working! I still remember a game up in Norman, OK when Bob Stoops had no shame in running the score up on us 77-0. Ouch. He was playing to WIN, and win BIG! We have one of the most talented teams we've had in a long time, and yet we've become the laughing stock of the NCAA. The first line of the Beaumont Enterprise newspaper article pretty much summed it up, "No. 16 Texas A&M fell apart in the second half. Again." Here's to getting our butt whooped next year in the SEC {which I definitely have mixed feelings about too}! That's all I'm going to say about that. It's so frustrating that Carson didn't even wear his Aggie football outfit to the Halloween Carnival at church OR to his MDO Halloween party today. I busted out his lion costume from LAST year. Yes, it's a size 6-12 month and about 6 inches too short, but we didn't want to listen to anyone's crap. He may wear it tonight just because it's comfortable. Wow, there I go again sounding a little bitter.

Lastly, the Cowboys. Well, I should have known that if it came down to relying on the Cowboys to be the team to give me one win over the weekend, that was NOT a good thing. Hey, at least the Texans won and are first in their division. Hmmm... I think I might start rooting for them too. At least they seem to win a game here or there...

1 comment: