Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Trooper

We were supposed to go in today for a normal, QUICK, tube check-up at the ENT.  Well..... we sat in the waiting room for AN HOUR AND A HALF.  Yep, 1.5 HOURS!  I have NEVER EVER had to wait that long.  Normally we book an appointment with Walter, a nurse that pretty much just does tube checks.  You are usually in and out pretty quickly.  I purposely booked with the doctor because I knew one tube had fallen out (swim lessons are next week), and I wanted to save myself $40 by asking a "general ENT question" for myself (I end up with a sinus infection just about any time I get a head cold and wanted to know if that was normal and what they could do.  Obviously nothing major can be done when I'm pregnant, but he said to definitely come in after the baby was born for a CAT scan to see what my passages look like.  I'm guessing they don't look good because they don't drain worth a flip.  Anyways...) 

Well.... apparently Walter is out of town and must have had a lot of appointments on the books that they didn't reschedule because that was the only explanation that I could get, "Walter is out of town."  When I called to book, they told me he was out of town, so I don't know why the doctor was having to pick up the slack.  I know there were a lot of unhappy patients today.  I was becoming one of them.  I rarely complain at a doctor's office, restaurant, etc., but I did today.  It was ridiculous.  One guy and his son noticed I had been there a long time and asked me which doctor I was waiting for.  After I told him, he complained and flat out walked out after 1.5 hours.  Anyways, I digress. 

I have to say, Carson was a trooper though.  He HAPPILY played in the kid room for that full hour and a half.  I didn't even have to bust out the iPad or Mommy's phone.  He was content playing trucks and glancing up at Dora on the TV every now and then. 

 
Once we finally got into the room, I laughed that the eye chart... "KVD" were the letters at the top. Haha..,. Carson loves KVD (the fisherman). 

 
I'm glad we did stick around because he wasn't sure if the one tube that was still in was still in the right place.  Carson actually let the nurse and doctor look in his ears.  He wasn't such a fan last time.  If you've read my blog before, you know he HATES, and I mean HATES, getting haircuts or going to the dentist.  He does NOT like people messing with him.  I was so proud of him.  He even would jump and turn around and tell the doctor to look in the other ear.  What?!?  I was shocked!  Sweet Carson had to go lay on the big table and have his ear looked at with the big microscope (which we referred to the "big flashlight binoculars").  He did GREAT for the most part.  He started fussing toward the end because they had to hold his head firmly in place.  He started crying and told the nurses he was trapped... poor thing.  He kind of was, underneath their arms!  The tube was in the right place, but there was some gunk growing back on it (Emily's technical recollection of the medical terminology).  He needs ear drops and to come back in 2 weeks.  Again, glad I stuck it out.  I just hope and pray we don't have to wait like that again next time.  On the way home he said he wanted to go again!  Whew... glad that went well.  I just wish we could get him to act like this at haircuts!
 
Carson LOVED the elevator and trying to drink out of a water fountain.  I think it was the first time he'd tried that and it clearly showed!  He loved all his stickers and made friends with everyone he met.  To celebrate a good appointment, we had a Chick-fil-a date!

No comments:

Post a Comment