Monday, July 1, 2013

Swim Lesson Wrap-Up

Well.....

I had HIGH expectations this year because Carson did so great last year.  Unfortunately, I was pretty disappointed.  I actually think Carson did way better last year than this year.  There was some serious regression, and I'm not sure why.  He took from the same people as last year but did have a different instructor.  Everyone is supposed to be great, so I'm not sure what happened.

Last year, Carson pretty much swam the short length of the pool all by himself.  He REALLY struggled this year.  He would not keep his head down when he was trying to kick which pulled him from a horizontal position to vertical.  As soon as he was vertical, he struggled to stay afloat.  I'm not really sure why there was regression, but it was a little frustrating.  I don't know if he was pushed as hard this year or if it's him just being almost 3 and resisting everything these days... who knows?

Anyways, I wanted to feel more confident about Carson's abilities to stay afloat, so I signed him up again with the same teacher from last year.  She pushed him and he's the kind of kid that needs that.  He's hard headed and stubborn, and I really think he needs a teacher that will REALLY push him.  Since he has absolutely NO FEAR of the water, I really want to feel better that he knows what to do in the water.  When we were in Galveston, he wouldn't hesitate to jump off the stairs out to the deep part without anyone there to catch him.  He is able to keep his head above water, but not for long at all.   He would sink if no one got him.

Day 4


He looks so big here!

 
Ready to show off for Mommy and Daddy!

 
He did do better on his back this year and would actually stay still (for a little while).



No fear!

 
He is AWESOME at going underwater and getting the rings!  He loves doing this!
 
 
I'm optimistic that he will do better in a couple weeks when he takes again.  He may have just needed for time this year for it to come back.  He may have just needed a different teacher.  He may just be a hard-headed kid not wanting to take direction.  Anyways.... I'm hopeful to report he's made progress after his next lessons.  If there isn't, I think he'll be the only kid ever to take from the "swimming whisperers" and not be able swim (at least some) when he's done.  They are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment