Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Canines!

Yep, Carson's got those teeth too now! Those are some big suckers! No wonder he acted like he was in so much pain for a long time. According to the little "Our Child's Teeth 0-6 Years" brochure my dentist gave me when I went in for my cleaning, the upper canines typically erupt between 16-22 months and the lower ones between 17-23 months. Carson's certainly ahead of the game in the teething department... I wish he would catch up in the talking department! He WANTS to SO bad and "talks" away in his own little language...so cute!

This little brochure also says it's beneficial for the first dental visit to occur within six months after the first tooth appears, but no later than your child's first birthday. Really?!?!? Has anyone already taken their baby to the dentist that early or heard when you are supposed to? He's "seen" the dentist after he broke his tooth, but she just did a quick check to see if it looked like we needed to go to a pediatric dentist if it looked like there was more damage than just a chip. She didn't even mention when the first checkup should be... and of course, I forgot to ask. She obviously didn't think it was necessary at the time. Now that I think of it, maybe she said two... I don't remember though. All I know is that there is no way he would sit still and let someone dig around in there.

The kid HATES getting his teeth brushed. I mean, he HATES it. I feel like I am torturing him each time I do it. I certainly don't feel like I'm being very productive at it either. Any tips???

2 comments:

  1. Our pediatrician (his sister is a pediatric dentist) also said that the guidelines say 6 months after their first tooth comes through- but that he wouldn't consider sending his own kids until they were 2-3! Other than that, I've got nothing for ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We took Amelia to the dentist when we went, just to get her used to the office and the dentist. We don't have pediatric dentists over here...well, I take that back, we do, but they are CRAZY expensive, so we just take her to ours since it is covered. All he did the first time was look into her mouth and count her teeth. Nothing too scary. She got a prize of a toothbrush and a little ring, which she was totally stoked about and showed just about everyone. With the actual brushing of the teeth, Amelia was also pretty difficult at that age to brush her teeth. She still is sometimes. What helps with her is we sing a little song, or we have one of her stuffed animals "brush" her teeth. If she is being really stubborn, then we have Charlie "brush" her teeth. He gets lots of treats for doing this though, so he doesn't mind too much. :)

    ReplyDelete