Monday, November 21, 2011

Definitely a Reality...

A couple weeks ago I had a post called "The Quest for the 8-Minute Mile". Now, when I wrote this, it was BEFORE I had attempted to run AT ALL in a REALLY LONG TIME. I followed up with a post called "That Wasn't Too Bad" which was the "AFTER" post. I had gone out and actually run a mile without stopping. It took me 9:15 because I REALLY paced myself. I ran a mile on several more occasion right around the same time 9:00 to 9:15.

On all of those occasions, I didn't look at my watch until I was DONE. Mostly because I just wanted to finish the mile without stopping and not be concerned about how long it too. WELL, one day I looked down at the clock when I was on what I would consider the last stretch and it was around 7:45... I was like WOW, so I picked up the pace and finished in 8:35. The next time, I looked down and realized I could probably make it in under 8:30. I did... 8:25.

SO.... my point is that I really think an 8-minute mile is TOTALLY a reality for me. I've already shaved 50 seconds off from when I started, so what's another 25 seconds. When I looked down at that watch and know I am close, I can definitely push myself on that final stretch. I was always competitive growing up, especially with myself. If I can keep setting little goals for myself and reaching them, I will be much more motivated to keep running. I think that's the main reason I like running more than regular working out. You CAN set goals for yourself. How do you really set goals with a workout DVD?

By NO means do I think I can keep an 8-minute, or even 9-mine pace for longer distances, at least not for a long time. I think I'm going to stick with the 1-mile distance for a little while longer, and then go for two. Like I said, little goals...



Source: ow.ly via Emily on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment