Thursday, November 4, 2010

3 Months Old!!!

Okay, so I started this post 3 weeks ago and things have already changed. So, I'll just leave what I had and then make a few comments as I go.

13 Weeks! 10/21/10




3 Months! 10/22/10




Well, now that Carson is almost 3 months old (I know, where has the time gone??---don't forget, I wrote this 3 weeks ago. He's now 15 weeks/3.5 months!!!), he is just full of smiles. I'm sure you could tell that by all the pictures I post of him. He actually laughed for the first time on October 15th with Nana (12 weeks old)... I'm so sad I missed it in person though. Wanda got a recording of it on her phone and it is just too precious! I have yet to get the same kind of laugh that she did, the squealing type, but he giggles for me all the time. He's ticklish under the chin!

He's finally got somewhat of a routine, which is nice. During the day is still not as predictable though. The night time drill is usually the same, or at least one of two options. We always do bath time usually around 7:00pm. Some days it's a little earlier if he is super fussy, or if he chose to have his good nap later in the afternoon and he's still wide awake, we might push it to a little later. (The 3 month-plus update is that we usually start a bath between 7:00-7:30.) Carson is loving bath time now! He's our little fishy and just loves to splash in the water. He rarely cries when we take him out now (that's a change from last month). After bath time, we feed him and then I try to read him a short book or two. If he's really tired or just not into it, this doesn't always happen, which is the case most of the time. He loves books during the day though. I rock him for just a few minutes until he's "got gas in his eyes" (i.e. droopy, sleepy eyes) then put him in bed, say a short prayer, then out I go! Most nights, he's asleep almost instantly. Every now and then I do have to go back in there one time, stick the pacifier in his mouth and rub his head and eyebrows for just a minute before he's calm again. He still sleeps swaddled in his Halo Swaddle SleepSack (the best because it's not tight on his legs!!!). I've tried putting him down in just jammies or without the swaddle part around his arms, but it usually doesn't work. I think he hits himself in the face and it scares him. Most of the time he gets his arms out, but since he's already calm/asleep, it doesn't wake him up. (Update - We are now swaddle free!!! When I was in Dallas for my 10-year reunion, I started swaddling really loosely or just leaving one arm out. That next week when I got home, I quit doing it all together. He's been swaddle free for over a week now! Coincidentally (or maybe not), he's been sleeping way better too...see below!)

(Note: This first part was written when he was about 12 weeks old.) He's sleeping so much better at night too. For a while there, he'd be asleep around 8:00pm and then sleep about 5 hours until 1:00am or so. He'd eat then, and then about 3-4 hours later again. Lately though, he's been going to sleep around between 7:00-8:00pm and then waking up sometime between 10:00pm-12:00am. After that, he's been sleeping 5-6.5 hours until 5-6:00am. Most days, he'll go back down again until 7-9:30am. So lately, I've really only had to get up one time. I consider when he goes back to sleep for the last time my nap of the day even though its first thing in the morning. He hasn't been fighting going back to sleep during any of that time. (Update - As of about a week or so ago, our little angel has been consistently "sleeping through the night." He's usually asleep sometime between 7:30-8:30pm and then sleeps 6+ hours. Often it's 7.5 to 8+ hours! He usually wakes up between 2:30am and 5:30am, eats, then easily goes back to sleep until sometime between 7-10am. One word = AWESOME!!!) He first slept 8 hours straight on October 21st (see "So it's 3:30am" post). That was slightly an isolated incident though. A week later is when he consistently started sleeping really good. At the farm on the 30th, he pretty much slept 11 hours straight. He went 8 hours and then was squirming a little and mommy's boobs hurt, so I attempted to feed him but he was still out. I gave up and put him back down for 3 more hours. Pretty much every night since then he's slept at least 7 hours, usually a little more. Halloween night he slept 9 straight. There's three things that I think I can point to as to why he's sleeping better: 1) The obvious fact that he's getting older and that by 3 months, many babies sleep for a 6+ hour stretch, 2) He's been eating more frequently during the day, thus eliminating the need to eat as much at night. When he used to go 3 hours in between feedings, he now usually eats ever 2-2.5 hours. Additionally, I know that he is capable of eating more than he gets from just nursing. So, I sometimes top him off with formula after nursing and/or give him a big formula bottle with a little rice right before bed and save that milk for topping off purposes. When he nurses every 2-2.5 hours, I think he's only getting 4-5 ounces (because that's about how much I get if I pump). However, when I give him a formula bottle or a milk bottle, he usually eats 6oz or more. I try for about 2 or 3 of the feedings to be 6oz or more. 3) Even if he stirs, I don't automatically try to feed him. If it's been less than 6 hours since he ate, I try to either ignore him for a few minutes and he usually falls back asleep on his own or I give him his pacie and he goes back to sleep. One of these almost always works. Sometimes it doesn't, but I can usually tell when he's just stirring or when he's actually really hungry. I think by not trying to feed him any time he stirs, especially when it's only been a few hours, his brain is getting accustomed to not needing to eat during the night.

Other 3-month observations include how much he's using his hands. He's not quite grabbing at a toy if you just hold it in front of him, but he does grab at and hold onto the toys hanging down on his play mat and subsequently puts them in his mouth. If you touch a plastic ring to his hand, he will hold it forever and loves to stick it in his mouth. He puts all toys in his mouth. He LOVES to suck on his fingers and hands. Sometimes it's subtle and other times you'd think he was actually eating it. Ketchup anyone? He holds things with both hands as well.

He LOVES to "talk"!!! I really think he thinks he's telling us stories. It is so cute! He loves when you sound out the vowels very dramatically, count dramatically, or sing songs dramatically. Basically, he loves seeing the expressions you use and then tries to do them himself. Precious.

He loves to look at books (during the day). Certain things on TV really catch his attention. He loved watching the Rangers in the post season!


He still loves to lay on his back and kick, kick, kick those legs! He's still not a big fan of tummy time. I think it hurts his tummy. He spits up everytime even if it's been a while since he's eaten. When he was 11 weeks old he rolled from his tummy to back four times, but he hasn't done it since. I practice rolling with him. I know he'll do it again soon. If I let him get super mad while on his tummy, he'd probably do it. That's how it happened the last time. The only way it works is in short time periods and if I'm on the floor eye-to-eye with him. Lucy usually joins as well.


October 10th (11.5 weeks) he went to Mass the first time and just slept in my arms the whole time (thank you, God!). When he was 12 weeks, I left him with Andrew & family for the entire weekend so I could go on a church retreat. From what they tell me, he did fine without me. I left enough milk for him to not need any formula the whole time I was gone. Even with 4 days of bottle only, he definitely did not forget how to nurse! YAY!

Hmm...what else? He still makes a "fountain" in the bath and has pooped in it a few times. Fun stuff. We haven't had any more projectile poop, but he has gone a couple days without pooping and then has a whopper of a poop for ya when it does come. To be graphic, we had one recently that was about the consistency of a melted Frosty from Wendy's, but this one didn't smell like chocolate.

He loves to go on walks, especially at the Farm. The BOB was definitely a good investment. He just loves to be outdoors like his mommy and daddy. He'll be fussing and as soon as you walk outside, he's fine.


I think his vision is getting better in that he can see farther and things aren't as fuzzy as they used to be. He follows me with this eyes everywhere I go. He loves to watch the dogs playing too. Oh, the downside to all this night sleeping is that day time naps have become a bit more of a challenge. If I get three 30-45 minute naps in for him, we're doing good. Once in a while, he'll fall asleep for 1 to 1.5 hours. You can tell he's tired, but he just fights it so hard. As we speak, he finally gave it up in the swing. I try to have all naps in his crib though, but occasionally they end up being in the swing or in the car seat after running errands. He holds his head up great how and has gotten so strong. He'll stand in my lap for a really long time. We've even got him in his Exersaucer. He's a little small for the seat, so I just pad it a little. He likes looking at new things.

I'm not sure how long he is, but I think he's around 16 pounds. I weighed myself and then myself with him at my parents' house and 16 pounds was the difference. That said, he's been in 3-6 month clothes for a while and many of them are almost too small (lengthwise) already. He's wearing a number of 6-9 month things already. Crazy.

He's also started losing his hair on the left side and on the back. I'd noticed it on his sheets first, but now I can actually tell on his head. My brother lost all his hair, so we'll see what happens!


14 Weeks! 10/28/10


15 Weeks! 11/4/10


I'm sure there is so much more I could write, but all in all, Carson is just an absolute JOY! We feel so blessed! I still just stare at him in awe and thank God everyday for him. He's just getting more precious by the day, but I want it to slow down. He's already growing so fast, and I know I will miss this stage once it's over. Oh, and lastly, those eyes are still BLUE! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment