Thursday morning I went in to get Carson out of bed to nearly be taken out by the smell of something that I knew was NOT poop. I don't ever use this acronym, but O.M.G. It was bad. Really, really bad. I was scared. Scared to take five steps forward to see what was waiting for me. Stitches the Bear and his look alike had already jumped ship and were laying on the floor.
I creeped up to have my sweet little nugget jumping up and down COVERED, and I mean COVERED, in his own throw up. Then it got worse. The crib, from one end to the other, was also COVERED...bumpers and all. There were CHUNKS of dinner {smoked sausage, green beans, broccoli, & cheese} all over the place. It also appeared that he had what only could have been MULTIPLE diarrhea explosions. The smell, it was RANCID. I've smelled some gross stuff before, but this nearly made me throw up myself. My heart broke for this sweet little boy who had Something About Mary hair, except his "product" of choice was puke.
First things first. This kid was stripped down and thrown in the tub as fast I could get him in there. He was standing naked in the bathroom as I was trying to get as much in the washing machine as possible. Then he peed on the floor. I guess I should have been relieved that it wasn't more "diarrif" or puke. Pee & tile floor = no big deal. He looked so pathetic in the tub. Think sad, wet kitty cat {not the skinny part, the "why are you doing this to me" part.}
Okay, so the kid is clean. It took forever to do all the laundry... 4 bumpers, sheet {washed twice b/c it was that bad}, mattress pad, two stuffed bears, blanket, PJ's, two towels, and a wash cloth.
Oh, and did I mention he threw up again at breakfast. This was my fault. Despite his clearly upset tummy, he still acted hungry. I thought oatmeal had to be a safe choice. It seemed like it was...until that last bite. This was a reluctant bite. I should have known better. As soon as he took it, I knew I had crossed the line. Back out it ALL came. Add another set of clothes {outfit #2 of the day}, the high chair covers, and a couple rags to the laundry list. I DID know better than to give him milk. We didn't have any Pedialyte in the house, so water and Powerade it was until I could run to the store.
I called the doctor's office and the nurse pretty much said this was going around since school started. Yep, two days at preschool, TWO DAYS, and he's already sick. I sure hope this won't become a common occurance. She gave me a Pedialyte and Florastor (OTC probiotic to regulate his digestic system) regimen to follow. She also said yogurt was good for his system. Good to know, he likes yogurt.
Outfit #3 (below) was retired for the day when the diaper didn't quite hold it all in.
I'll note that this was the first time Carson has really thrown up. He had a minor little gag reflex the first time we gave him avocado, but that's it. This was also the first time he's had diaper leakage since he was a little bitty thing and we had used a different kind of diaper.
I did have TONS of work to do, but that's okay. It was worth it to hang out with my nugget. Even if "hanging out" pretty much just meant changing stinky, clear enzymey, diarrif diapers. To top it all off, let's just say I'm not quite feeling like myself either today. Thanks, Carson. Love you too! wink wink
Oh no! I'm so sorry he was sick! But I'm glad you post about what it's really like to be a mom! Thinking of you.
ReplyDelete