So Carson officially tested my patience more than ever yesterday. I know that it's probably ridiculous that the majority of it was over a haircut, but it has been so unbelievably frustrating.
We went to try to get a haircut TWICE and still only have half of a haircut. In the past I've been able to do little trims at home in between, but not today. Unfortunately, I think we may have passed a point where he's now officially traumatized and has a phobia of haircuts. He's not just a kid that's crying, he is hysterical and is genuinely terrified of scissors. I regret how we've handled some of the haircuts in the past (essentially held him in a bear hug while he screamed bloody murder) because I know we just made it worse, but I was so set that he HAD to get it cut that I wasn't thinking what long-term implications this would have. I think it's going to take a long time and take lots of baby steps for him to ever be comfortable again. Oh, I so wish he still had those precious curls so that it would actually look cute long. I'm just going to have to deal with the ragamuffin look. Like I said, this is going to take some serious baby steps and "therapy" to overcome.
Oh, and the whining in general. Don't even get me started on the whining.
I was not proud of myself yesterday. I usually am good at not overreacting to Carson's behavior, but I certainly lost my patience more than once yesterday.
I don't think I realized how tired I was until I talked to my mom on the phone last night. I definitely had one of those mommy breakdowns. Between the trials of a very hard headed toddler, certain work engagements that seem to NEVER end, being pregnant, our disaster of a house, and other family matters, I finally just had a good cry. Like I said, I don't think I realized how emotionally frustrated I was until I started talking it out with my mom. I don't think I've had the time to process my thoughts and so I just broke down.
I really wish a sabbatical was a realistic option. I could certainly use one. What sounds so nice right now would just be a night or two at a nice hotel...with the spa, of course! I need two of these, one alone and one with Andrew. When I get overwhelmed and worn out, I lose all motivation to actually get things done. That's totally where I am right now. I need to recharge. Bad.
I hate when I get into these little slumps because I know how many blessings I do have and I feel stupid for ever feeling like I actually have it rough. I don't. I just have to remind myself that everyone goes through these periods and that it's normal, AND that is SO important to recharge. I know that I can't be the wife and mommy I need to be when I feel like this.
Some of the work projects are {hopefully} ending soon, and I do have a little PTO on the calendar, so I just hope that I can actually take advantage of that time off and truly recharge a bit. I need to get out of this house....without a computer... and with a little help with Carson. I'm certainly wondering how in the world people do it with more than one.... I guess I'll find out soon enough.
To end on a lighter note, Carson was unbelievably sweet to me yesterday when I put him to bed (which was a MUCH shorter process than usual - no bath, only one book, short prayers, and no singing). A little while later he did cry out for me to come rock him and sing. That it usually such a special time for us each night, and I felt guilty for pretty much skipping it because I just wanted that part of my day to end. Afterwards, he gave me the biggest hug and kiss... so at least he still loves me. :-)
Ugh. I'm sorry. I hate those days/funks. So frustrating!
ReplyDeleteSometimes a good cry with your mom is all we really need, isn't it?! Hang in there and rest assured we've all been there (and still are at times)!
ReplyDeleteAs for haircuts...Tyler was the EXACT same way. What worked for us was to find a friend that cuts hair and will either do it at your house or theirs. It took us at least 6 times with her before things got "better."
Another idea is to have said person (or yourself) cut Carson's hair on some type of equipment that he loves. Until 3 haircuts ago, Tyler sat on our riding lawn mower for his cut because that was the only thing that would keep him calm/distracted. Maybe have Carson sit on the 4-wheeler while you do a little trim? You could even take it a step further if you need to and have Andrew drive him/y'all while you snip snip..ha! (I know that sounds terribly unsafe but if you go slow it's fine..ha!)
I will never, ever understand why haircuts are so hard! Good luck and make sure to keep us posted.