Friday, February 18, 2011

Weekend at the Lake

One of my Christmas presents from Andrew was for a weekend at the lake for just the two of us. His parents agreed to babysit and he was to be my personal chef & fishing guide. He timed this weekend to be the one before Valentines, so it was perfect. This has become a Valentines tradition, 3rd year in a row! This would be the first time Carson has been without either one of us. He's been without me and without Andrew, but never at the same time. I was so sad to say goodbye to my little man, but I knew he was in good hands. I also knew we really needed this time alone. I have been so consumed with wearing the "Mommy" hat (and also the "Working Mom" hat), that the "Wifey" hat has been stuck hanging on the rack for too long. For those of you that are Mommy, Wife, and Working Mom, you understand how difficult it is to try to wear all three hats. That's a whole other post that I'll get to later.

Anyways, Toledo Bend is our lake of choice because the fishing is usually good and it's pretty close to home. The area we go to is all fisherman, it's not really a recreational lake (LOTS of dangerous stumps). Andrew rented a small home/cabin on the water, not our usual "high-class" (insert sarcasm) Midlake Kampground cabin. :-) (Note: Anyone that spells anything that's supposed to be spelled with a "C", with a "K" immediately loses "classy" status....sorry, HUGE pet peeve!)

View of cabin from the water side


Saturday morning sunrise view (the lake is VERY low right now)


We had a little red fox friend that hung out at night outside our cabin. We named him Tabasco. He likes dog food and little smokies. :-)




Living room looking out over the water


Magoose enjoying the view from the porch


Another early morning pic


The pro finding us where to fish


It's chilly, but we're ready to go!




The Pro


First Catch


Pups Helping with Catch #2


Lone Cypress Tree


How the pups roll in the boat...


Sunset


Pups playing...


Hanging out with my Love


More sunset


The cliff Shooter tried to commit suicide off of...


Pup by the lake


Sunset over Pendleton Bridge


Heart attack in a skillet (Andrew decided to try to make chicken fried bacon...and it worked)


Turtle


Bird & Pine Trees


Bald Eagle




My hard-earned single catch of the trip!!! (Fishing was SOOOOO slow!)


It was so nice to sleep in each morning (even though my body clock still woke me up too early), eat a big breakfast, watch a movie (The Town...pretty good), spend some time with my honey and pups, do a little fishing (I'm like a little kid and get bored fast when we're not catching fish, so I took lots of pics with my new lens!), eat bad-for-me food like Reese's, Haribo gummy bears, and lots of fried stuff, enjoy wildlife (we saw a fox, bald eagle, deer, armadillo, squirrels, lots of birds/ducks, turtles), etc. I did have to pump on the boat several times (sorry, TMI)... good thing it was cold so I could use my jacket to cover up. The lake is huge, so it wasn't like anyone was really around... fun times for a mommy. Andrew knows me too well, he brought lots of snacks for me on the boat... if I could eat, I'd be willing to stay out there longer.

The best part of the whole trip might be seeing our little man in his souvenir, a t-shirt (size 18 months!) from Toledo Town Tackle!





That's all folks!

2 comments:

  1. Oh friend...I totally feel you on wearing three hats! Sounds like y'all had an awesome and much needed weekend, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark me down as not quite figuring out the "three hat" situation yet either...and my baby is almost two...yikes! I cracked up at your pumping on the boat...only bc I pumped in strange (not for me but for others) places too. Way to go, Mommy!!

    ReplyDelete