I can't cook anything else (hardly), so why not try to make my own baby food? It's about as simple as you can get, and I have the satisfaction of actually making something. I can steam stuff and/or boil water and push the "on" button on my food processor. That's about all you need to know how to do. We are far from "granola" people and aren't into all organic and all of that, it's more just because it's cheaper and easy. I have no problem giving Carson the stuff off the shelf, but let's face it...most of it is pretty gross looking. If I'd rather eat the real thing, I'd rather him eat the real thing.
Peas or Grean Beans (can't tell from the picture)
Carrots
I have also made squash, which he really liked. It was fresh squash and was delicious! I mashed up bananas and he wasn't really into them (which was strange). They also browned really quickly and brown bananas are gross. I tried peaches but he wasn't a fan. The frozen ones are way more tart than the ones from Gerber. The grean beans, peas, and carrots have all been a hit. I also plan on experimenting with chicken, chick peas, sweet potatoes, beans, apples, prunes, and whatever else sounds good. Frozen veggies go a long way and are CHEAP. It's actually kind of fun to make it too. A couple nights a week, I bust out all my small pans and just have something going in each one. Once everything is cooked and soft, I just take turns with the food processor. As much as this kid eats, diapers are starting to look cheap, it's the baby food that was really adding up.
Bon Appetit!
good for you! i made some of my own and now im going to have to use it in other recipes because i think channing is slowly getting over baby food...
ReplyDeleteI made Amelia's food too. Super easy. Then when she started grabbing things off my plate, I would just give her small bites of what Markus and I were eating. MUCH easier and SO MUCH cheaper than the jarred stuff. One thing though...I never messed with making my own meat baby food...I figured I could "splurge" and but the little jars of baby meat and mix it in with whatever else I made. :) Good for you! The homemade stuff taste SOOOOO much better than the jarred stuff. :)
ReplyDelete