We haven't taken this leap yet, but I know it is in our VERY near future, as in, I'd really like to do this in the next couple weeks while it's still summer and not so crazy busy in my work life. I'm an 8+ hour of sleep a night kind of person or I don't function well, and I have a feeling it may be a little rough at the beginning.
Carson's yet to get out of his crib, mostly because he doesn't try. He's happy just jumping up and down and hollering at us when he's ready to get out. I guarantee you he's capable if he really wanted too... he's a little monkey. Apparently I was the opposite and did climb out on occasion. He is getting pretty big for it though, and I think around 2 years (or even a little sooner from what I've observed from some of my friends) is probably when most kids start making the transition to a big boy bed, or at least a toddler bed. It varies, or course...
We have a convertible crib, but I'm thinking about just skipping the toddler bed step for three reasons:
1. Going to a toddler bed means you will still have to make ANOTHER transition at some point in the future to a big boy bed. We don't like a lot of change around here...
2. I like the idea of having another place for an adult to sleep if needed. This includes myself on occasion. Carson never slept with us, ever. I think he took a brief nap once or twice with Andrew, but he never slept with us at night. He never wanted to or would, even on the few occasions we desperately wanted him to if he couldn't fall asleep in his crib or if we were at someone else's house when he was little and screaming bloody murder. On our recent family vacay with my parents in South Padre, he would NOT, and I repeat, NOT sleep in the Pack 'N Play. So, for the first time, we put him in one of the twin beds pushed up against the wall and Andrew laid down with him until he fell asleep. Well, they both fell asleep....and that's how the sleeping went the rest of the trip. He slept with Andrew and actually slept pretty well. At the family wedding this past weekend, he slept with us in the King bed at the hotel, and again, slept great. Once he was asleep, he was good to go until morning, even when we weren't in the bed with him. So, I'm hoping this was a good sign.
3. Hopefully, we'll need the crib again in the not too far off future. Don't read into this too much... we don't need one quite yet. I'm not buying a second crib, so making a toddler bed for the present time eventually puts us back at #1.
So, I'm hoping the big transition will will occur sometime in the next month, or as soon as I get him a bed. I'm totally nervous... any tips?!?!?
Our transition went totally smooth....he still lays in bed and yells for us when he wakes up. We were like you are thinking and went straight to a BIG bed. He's in a full. It is up against the wall, and we had a railing on the other side for almost the first year. We made his transition shortly before his 2nd birthday. We just took the railing off this week, and he has done fine with that, too...and still doesn't get out of bed on his own. Maybe we are just lucky in that, though. What we have to work on is the whole "getting up to go potty" thing. We still do a nighttime diaper. I just don't want to ruin what we have! Ha! GOOD LUCK...he'll do great!!
ReplyDeleteDitto exactly to what Jenni said (except the potty training part!)! We have a queen for Jay, against the wall with a rail on the other side. A few times we have had to sleep with him in the middle of the night (if he's been really sick). It's wonderful for that! Also, Jay has never tried to get out of bed either. I was thinking this morning how funny that is- he will play in his bed during the day and get in and out- but when he wakes up he just lays there until we go get him. It will be A LOT better than you think!!!!
ReplyDeleteHey let us all know how it goes and how yall do it. I am interested in hearing how many moms do this... I need all the help I can get! ;)
ReplyDeleteWe switched Elise a lot later than most people... she was 3 years and 2 months. I didn't want to move her before Jack was born so we just bought two convertible cribs. She is in a toddler bed and she's pretty big for her age but has plenty of room in it. We plan to convert it to a full/queen after we move again and I don't think that a second switch will be a big deal since she sleeps great on a twin while traveling. I was very scared of the transition but it was perfect. I also recommend getting one of those alarm clocks that lights up when it's time to get up. I almost always wake her in the morning (after the alarm turns green), but if she wakes up first and her clock isn't green, she'll roll right over and go back to sleep. Good luck!
ReplyDelete