Wednesday, May 18, 2011

He Finished the Race...

Sunday night I received a very sad and unexpected e-mail. One of our Business Valuation Partners at Deloitte, John Boettiger, had passed away. He was only 40 years old and had 3 young daughters. He'd been battling lung cancer for the last 2 years, but the most recent updates I remember hearing were positive. Several co-workers said that even just a few weeks ago he was super positive and had a "I've got this thing beat" attitude. So I think everyone was caught off guard when they received the news because it seemed like there was so much hope. He was one of those people that when you found out they had cancer, especially lung cancer, you just couldn't believe it. He's young, didn't smoke, and was seemingly the picture of good health. It was just one of those things that didn't make any sense, but you just had to accept.

I had the pleasure of hunting with him once down here in the marsh. Andrew and I took him out, along with another one of the partners. It was a great time! He was always willing to help get a table together for the Houston Ducks Unlimited dinner. We certainly had the outdoors/hunting/fishing thing in common. We also worked together on several engagements over the last 5 years. I tell you, he really knew his stuff! Every time I saw him in the office, he wanted to know how Carson was doing and wanted me to send pictures. He was genuinely interested in what was going on with me.

In reading some of the guestbook messages online at various locations, I came across several that said something along the lines of "I'm so sorry John lost his battle with cancer." I know those people mean well, but that choice of wording just irks me. "Losing" the battle suggests weakness. John was anything but weak. Yes, his body was weak at the end, but his spirit and his faith were ANYTHING but weak. He remained so strong in spirit and in his faith throughout his cancer journey. I loved how it was worded on his CarePage, "Last night around 6 pm, John Boettiger finished the race here on earth, and has gone to victory in the Lord." I love that. Finished the race here on earth and gone to VICTORY in the Lord. What a beautiful way to look at it, versus LOSING to cancer.

John was loving husband and father who truly left an impact on his community. He will be deeply missed.

Here's a link to his obituary in the Chronicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment