Wednesday, June 1, 2011

So Here's the Plan...

NOTE: If you could care less about breastfeeding/pumping/etc., close out your browser now, because that is what this post is all about. :-)

As I've previously discussed, the original breastfeeding goal was 6 months. Once we hit that, I said I'd go to a year... I mean, why not? As also previously discussed, Carson hasn't been nursing since he was 6 months, so we've been in a pump-only state for the last 4 months or so.

That said, for some reason, just in the last week or so, pumping has really become a chore. Mentally, I am SO over it. It takes way longer to get a lot less milk. Is it really worth 15-30 minutes, every 3-4 hours, to walk away with 2 ounces, sometimes less? In the mornings, after 7-8 hours, I am only getting 4 ounces if I'm lucky. I used to get 6-8 oz, no problem. I know that they don't need near as much milk now, but I think that's part of the reason it's getting old. I was so happy to do it back when he really needed it. It's also getting old because now, if Andrew or the nanny isn't here, it's really hard to find time to pump without having an unhappy kiddo. He doesn't want to be trapped in the play pen while I'm pumping. I've tried just watching him on the floor while hooked up, but every other second I'm having to unhook and go grab him off something. Pumping and traveling is also a pain. I am so tired of lugging that black bag everywhere and having to excuse myself from company or when I'm a guest to go do my mommy business.

So anyways, here's my plan... I'll continue to pump until he's 11 months (3 more weeks!). In the meantime, I'm going to give him the milk I pump in the morning, and then let him have formula the rest of the day. The milk I pump during the day is going to be put in the freezer until I have enough for him to have one breast milk bottle a day during his 11th month up until he's a year old. That way I "breast fed him" for a year! Close enough, right?!?! :-) Works for me!!!

I am glad we won't have to go through the weaning off the breast thing. That just kind of happened on its own. He does love his "Ba" though, so I know phasing that out may be difficult. He likes water from a sippy cup, but not milk. Any tips???

2 comments:

  1. You did good momma!! It totally counts that you breastfed for a year- even if you are mixing it up! I had a comment on my weaning post about putting the yogurt drink mixed with half milk in a sippy cup. Since it's sweet they like it. Then gradually lessening the yogurt to where it's all milk! I'm going to start that at ten months- it sounds like a great plan to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Court's suggestion sounds good...I'd love to hear how this works! That was Connor's biggest issue...he loved milk, but from a bottle only! He would look at me crazy if I tried to put it in a sippy! We eventually just dropped the bottle and he went a few days without milk, so we did extra cheese, yogurt, etc. He still doesn't drink a whole lot of milk, but I'll let him have some Ovaltine to get some in. Good luck...y'all will do great!

    ReplyDelete